- 1 Introduction:
- 1.1 My Book Vs My Passport
- 1.1.1 What is My book?
- 1.1.2 What is My passport?
- 1.1.3 Origin of My book and My passport:
- 1.1.4 Comparison of My book vs My Passport:
- 1.1.5 Conclusion:
- 1.1.6 Frequently Asked Questions:
- 1.1 My Book Vs My Passport
My book and My passport are two storage devices owned by Western Digital. These are two highly-running products of Western Digital. They have their specifications and competitiveness. There is a wide range for both the products having different updated versions. Let us know ‘My Book Vs My Passport’.
My Book Vs My Passport
My book Vs My passport both products belong to the same company so they tend to have many similarities. But since its technology, every product has its individuality to stand out. They can be compared based on their design, storage, speed, quality performance, and specifically price. The customer reviews are different for the two products. They are also available in several editions. Both the products come with few positive and few negative aspects. Comparatively, they’ll be discussed below to highlight differences and similarities. There is no clear winner because the customers who’ve used these products have provided mixed reviews.
What is My book?
My book is a storage drive that has various editions like essential, premium, and pro. It is an external hard drive. It is designed to look like a book. The different editions of My book are available in black, white, and silver colors. Its design consists of a unique dot and dash encoder to display a message. This device can be used to store documents and media.
What is My passport?
My passport is an easy-to-carry hard drive that is available in several models. Each model has a different specification. My passport is available in the following capacities of 1TB, 2TB, 4TB, and 5TB (Terabyte). Also, this device can store large data in form of videos, images, or documents. The product is supported by a super flexible installation guide. The product has a three-year warranty.
Origin of My book and My passport:
My book and My passport are both manufactured by Western Digital. Western Digital is a service that has various types of hard storage devices. Their product range also has memory cards, USB flash, and SSD (Solid State Drive). My book and My passport are two of the most popular products from Western digital and are featured on the official website of the company.
Storage of My book:
My book is available in a variety of spaces like 4TB-18TB. The mechanism or drive it works on is WD. This storage is quite efficient and affordable.
Storage of My passport:
The available storage range of My passport is 1TB to 5TB. It is supported by a USB extension. The password system is such that if one doesn’t remember the password, the system would be reset and data can be lost.
Advantages of My book:
My book is a product that comes with the following advantages:
- My book is available in different capacities. Hence one can choose according to their need.
- My book has a warranty of three-year as officially mentioned by Western Digital.
- The product comes with a fair speed which is an attraction to most of the customers.
- The price of My book according to the gigabyte is quite fair and rational.
- The drive has high protection through passwords. The encrypted process makes the data safe and encoded.
- The device also comes with a backup facility.
Advantages of My passport:
The following are the notable positive features of this product.
- This hard drive is suitable for PCs as well as MACs.
- The design of My passport deserves quite an appreciation. It is light-weighted and attractive.
- The installation process is very flexible. All the required cables are provided.
- The device can be used to access many social media applications, i.e Facebook and Gmail.
- It has C type connector.
Comparison of My book vs My Passport:
- Design and appearance: The appearance of My book is like a book while My passport is more likely to be a box. Both the drives are available in different colors but My passport has a wider color variety. My book is only available in three colors while My passport has around six to seven colors after the latest additional updated versions. My book is not a small drive and it is mainly designed for desktop computers. It cannot be easily carried. On the other hand, My passport is a portable device and can be easily carried. My book has a shiny surface with three lights while My passport has a slim texture with one light.
- Specifications: The specification facts are extracted from the official website of Western Digital. The capacity of My book is 3TB while the capacity of My passport is 1TB. My book comes with two interfaces i.e. 3.0 and 2.0 while My passport comes with only one interface which is 3.2. My book is suitable for Windows and Mac. The design of My passport is such that it is mainly for Windows. The working compatibility is based on the user mainly.
- Hardware: The mechanism followed by My book is called WD Red. This mechanism has an effective performance as it doesn’t emit a large amount of heat. My passport is supported by SMR hard drive and doesn’t contain SSD inside. Both devices are supported by a USB probe connection. One thing to mention is that because there is no SSD inside My passport, it needs to be dealt with carefully to avoid any possible losses.
- Performance: The performance of both drives is fair and competitive. My book and My passport both have security measures passwords. In My book, the user can set a password that can save their data to be accessed by any external person. Similarly, in My passport, one can find the feature of password protection and can activate it to secure the drive. Both devices allow users to transfer their files. The users have submitted positive reviews about these two products making them highly in demand in the market.
- Customer reviews: The customer reviews of My book are very limited as compared to My passport. Most of the people who have reviewed My passport are quite satisfied with the product. Both quality and value were rated 3.5 on a scale of 5.
- Backup: My book and My passport both have the backup feature so that data is not lost. Both devices have backup software installed.
- Easy to use: In both products, an installation guide is available which makes it handy. My book can be used at once as it has all the software already installed. Similarly, My passport also lies in the same category as all the cables are provided in the packaging.
- Cost: Both products are available at quite reasonable rates. One can also buy these two products from Amazon. For My book, it is suggested to go with the lower capacity drive while for My passport, higher capacities are more suitable. The reason for higher capacity is that there is very less difference between the higher and smaller capacities. The lower capacity is supported in My book because the higher one may be defective. Both the products come with a warranty. The prices of the two products as mentioned on the web page are as follows:
- My book: €114.99
- My passport: $52.99
Disadvantages of My book:
Along with various advantages and amazing features, the product has a few lacking too.
- First of all, My book can only operate if it has an external adapter.
- The device does not have any temporary data storage facility.
- It is a spinning device which means it evolves a certain amount of heat.
Disadvantages of My passport:
Few features which make My passport a limited choice are:
- As mentioned already, the device needs to be handled with caution because it can be subjected to damage.
- The usage of My passport is limited to Windows users only. It is not so great choice for Mac users.
Storage drives are a necessary part of operating systems. The drives discussed above from Western digital namely My book vs My passport are two of the most running drives amongst the users. The products belong to different companies but still are quite different in terms of their usage. They have been compared based on their storage, performance, design, specifications, hardware, and cost. They both have their individuality leading to unique customer reviews. They have advantages and disadvantages that have been discussed briefly. After comparing these two technical devices, although there is no clear verdict that which is better according to the above analysis, it seems that My book has extended features than My passport.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Do different models of My book and My passport have the same features?
For different versions of a product, the secondary features are often the same. There are differences in color and storage options.
Which one is more suggested drive to use?
Both of these drives are quite efficient individually. The usage depends on what are the requirements and needs of the customers.
Aren’t these products quite expensive?
There is quite a major difference between the prices of the two products but the prices are merely set up according to the gigabyte and other features of the product. With the provided features, the prices are fair.