Pfsense is a very reliable firewall distribution for keeping you and your company’s sensitive information safe from the hawkish eyes of cybercriminals. To use pfsense for your firewall distribution, you would need to have a mesh Wifi that is compatible with pfsense, and would not give problems in terms of connectivity and bandwidth. Finding the best mesh wifi for your pfsense firewall is quite a struggle as there are many mesh wifi devices that you think would work well with your pfsense firewall, but they turn out not to. Find out the best mesh wifi for pfsense by reading this to the end.
- 1 Best Mesh Wifi for pfsense
- 1.1 1. ASUS AX5700 MESH WIFI
- 1.2 2. Nighthawk RAXE500 Mesh wifi
- 1.3 3. TP-link AX6600 Mesh Wifi
- 1.3.1 Important features of the TP-Link AX6600 mesh wifi
- 1.3.2 Unique Parental control feature of the TP-Link AX6600 mesh wifi
- 1.3.3 TP-Link AX6600 mesh wifi compatibility with pfsense firewall/router
- 1.3.4 The estimated price of the TP-link AX6600 mesh wifi
- 1.3.5 Mode of operation of the pfsense firewall
Best Mesh Wifi for pfsense
The best mesh wifi to combine with the pfsense firewall is wireless networking devices that are in the Wifi 6 category such as the ASUS AX5700 wifi, Nighthawk RAXE500 wifi, and TP-Link wifi. Pfsense is software that is built on the FreeBSD operating system and can be used as an open-source firewall or as a router for web network connection purposes. As a router or network firewall, pfsense would require a mesh wifi (a wireless networking device) that would help devices such as computers, game consoles, mobile phones, smart televisions, etc, to connect with it.
1. ASUS AX5700 MESH WIFI
ASUS AX5700 is a wifi device of the wifi 6 generation. ASUS AX5700 allows you to enjoy wifi speeds of up to 5700Mbps and wifi channels with a frequency that is as high as 170MHZ. The manufacturers of the ASUS AX5700 wifi built the wifi device for gamers and professionals who require high internet connectivity for their jobs. This wifi allows you to have an upload of 5700 Megabytes per second which means that the high-intensity virtual reality or video games you are playing would not constantly go off and on because your network connectivity is bad.
Important Features of the ASUS AX5700 MESH WIFI
The features of the Asus AX5700 mesh wifi are as follows:
- ASUS AX5700 has about 4 WAN/LAN ports each of them with a 2.5GBPS capacity, which means that even if your device has no means of connecting to the wireless network that has been set up by your pfsense router/firewall, you can use an Ethernet cable to connect your device to the wireless network and still enjoy very fast upload/download speed of 2.5GBPS from your ASUS AX5700 Mesh wifi.
- The ASUS AX5700 also has USB ports which you to connect devices such as your Smartphone to the ASUS AX5700 wifi device in events where for some reason, your device fails to connect to the wireless network of your ASUS AX5700.
- The ASUS AX5700 comes with a download/upload speed of about 5700MBPS which solves the lagging problem you might be experiencing with your video or virtual reality games.
ASUS AX 5700 Mesh wifi compatibility with pfsense firewall/router
You can use the ASUS AX5700 mesh wifi with a sense firewall/router if you want an extra layer of security from a firewall. But when using your AX5700 mesh wifi with pfsense, the best thing is to use the pfsense as both a firewall and a router while your ASUS AX 5700 mesh wifi would act as your internet access point. In such an arrangement, the ASUS AX5700 is very compatible with pfsense and would make your gaming or work life better.
Price of ASUS AX5700
You can get the ASUS AX5700 to mesh wifi for $279 on Amazon, Walmart, best buy, or in your local grocery or electrical store.
2. Nighthawk RAXE500 Mesh wifi
The Nighthawk RAXE500 is another mesh wifi that is very good for a pfsense firewall/router. Like the ASUS AX5700 mesh wifi, the Nighthawk RAXE500 mesh wifi makes use of Wifi 6 which is the latest generation of Wifi technology. The unique feature of the Nighthawk RAXE500 mesh wifi is that it is a tri-band route that can use the 6gigahertz frequency for its internet connection.
Important features of the Nighthawk RAXE500 Mesh Wifi
- The Nighthawk RAXE500 mesh wifi has three LAN ports with different LAN connectivity frequencies of 2.4gigahertz, 5gigahertz, and 6gigahertz. The LAN ports are very suitable for aggregating links.
- The Nighthawk RAXE500 mesh wifi also has a WAN port that you can pair with any of the Nighthawk RAXE500 LAN ports if you want to use multi-gig connectivity.
Unique 6gigahertz frequency feature of the Nighthawk RAXE500 mesh wifi
The 6gigahertz frequency allows the wifi to broadcast more radio waves which amplify your wifi signals and them stronger. A wifi device that propagates wifi signals at a 6gigahertz frequency would not crash when it has a lot of devices connected to its network. What this means for you is that with the Nighthawk RAXE500 mesh wifi, you would not have to worry about the number of devices that are connecting to your Nighthawk RAXE500 wifi network.
Nighthawk RAXE500 mesh wifi compatibility with pfsense firewall/router
Like with the ASUS AX5700 mesh wifi, the Nighthawk RAXE500 mesh wifi is compatible with the pfsense wifi/firewall and can be comfortably used with the pfsense firewall/router. The best way to combine the Nighthawk RAXE500 mesh wifi with the pfsense firewall is to make the pfsense firewall your router and make your nighthawk RAXE500 mesh wifi your access point. Combining your nighthawk RAXE500 mesh wifi with a pfsense firewall would make your wifi network more secure from the nefarious activities of cyber criminals all over the internet.
The estimated price of the Nighthawk RAXE500 mesh wifi
Nighthawk RAXE500 mesh wifi is listed for $600 on Amazon, Walmart, best buy, and other tech eCommerce companies.
The TP-link AX6600 mesh wifi is another wifi that works well with the pfsense firewall/router. Like the aforementioned Wifi devices, the TP-Link AX6600 mesh wifi is one of the wifi devices that are of the wifi 6 generation. The TP-link AX6600 mesh wifi also comes with parental controls that you control over your wifi device.
Important features of the TP-Link AX6600 mesh wifi
- The TP-Link AX6600 mesh wifi has three LAN ports, of which one is a 2.5gigabytes per second LAN port, while the other two are 5gigabytes per LAN port, so if you need a wifi that can provide you with very fast internet, the TP-Link AX6600 is your go-to option.
- The TP-link AX6600 mesh wifi also has a USB port that allows you to connect devices to your TP-link AX6600 mesh wifi If those devices cannot connect automatically to your TP-Link AX6600 mesh wifi.
- The TP-Link AX6600 mesh wifi has internet connectivity of 574megabytes per second on its 2.4Gigahertz frequency wifi band, internet connectivity of 1200 megabytes per second on its 5GHZ band, and then 4800 megabytes per on its third band.
Unique Parental control feature of the TP-Link AX6600 mesh wifi
The parental control feature of the TP-Link AX6600 mesh wifi makes it possible for you to stop any unwanted device/devices from connecting to your TP-Link AX6600 mesh wifi network, and also allows you to control the connection duration of any device to your AX6600 mesh wifi network.
TP-Link AX6600 mesh wifi compatibility with pfsense firewall/router
The TP-Link AX6600 is a very good router on its own, but combining it with the pfsense firewall inoculates your TP-link AX6600 wifi from getting attacked by cybercriminals. The best combination of your TP-link AX6600 mesh wifi with the pfsense software is to make sense for your router and firewall while your TP-Link AX6600 mesh wifi is used as an access point to the network already set up by the TP-Link AX6600 mesh wifi. This would give you additional security to the one already given by the parental controls feature of your TP-Link AX6600 mesh wifi.
The TP-link AX6600 mesh wifi has a price tag of about $280 on Amazon, Best buy, Walmart, and other e-commerce platforms that sell technology products. Getting a TP-link AX6600 mesh wifi would be very great for you if you are someone who needs wifi for gaming or work-related purposes.
Mode of operation of the pfsense firewall
The pfsense firewall protects your wifi network from cyber attacks by acting as a sort of filter for your wifi network which filters out devices with malicious properties and prevents those devices with malicious properties from attacking your wifi internet and causing you cyber damage. Using a pfsense firewall is very ideal for you if you are using your wifi internet in the office or if you have sensitive information on your wifi-internet connected devices.
Using the pfsense firewall is a very good approach for shielding you and your organization’s sensitive information from the hawkish eyes of cybercriminals, but you would also need a good mesh wifi to combine with your pfsense firewall as it is not advisable to use your pfsense as both a router and wifi. Some good mesh wifi to combine with your pfsense firewall/router has been mentioned in this article, combine those mesh wifi with your pfsense firewall/router and enjoy the perks that with combining mesh wifi with your pfsense firewall.